Our first stop will be at Sapienza hut, which several times survived the volcano’s fury. A pleasant walk will give us the chance to admire ancient craters and new lava flows, lunar landscapes, houses surrounded by lava and breathtaking views, volcanic caves to be safely explored always accompanied by our guides. A tasting of typical products from Etna will allow us to appreciate Gods’ nectar. We’ll then proceed towards Taormina, the “Jonic Pearl”, first home to the Sicels, then to the Greeks. We’ll enjoy a walk along Corso Umberto and the typically Medieval narrow streets, the Greek Theatre with a view on the volcano and on Giardini Naxos gulf, and the chance to go shopping among delightful artisans’ handicraft shops or refined ones, with a final stop at the charming “Isola Bella”.
Duration: full day (7 hours)
Level of difficulty: medium
available every day except on Saturday and Sunday for at least 4 passengers – Excursion highlights:
- Pick-up and Drop-off at your accommodation. (Catania and hinterland)
- Climbing along the Volcano slopes you will have the chance to look at the different lava castings coming from ancient flows (1991/93 eruptions)
- Pleasant walk along Etna paths finding out ancient and new craters, with a view of the entire Jonic coast from the top.
- Exploring a spectacular lava cave (we’ll provide helmets and torches).
- “Valle del Bove“, ancient Etna volcanic caldera.
- Pleasant stop at the Honey Extraction Laboratory, for a tasting of typical products from Etna, among which Oil and Wines.
- Visiting Taormina where you’ll have time to walk along Corso Umberto. You’ll go shopping, visit churches and famous buildings, admire the Greek Theatre, enjoy the view of the Jonic coast from the Belvedere.
- After about two hours, your guide will be waiting for you at the opposite end of Corso Umberto.