A day devoted to water and fire, from Alcantara Gorges to the highest active volcano in Europe, ancient craters and new lava flows, lunar landscapes and thriving woods, houses surrounded by lava, breathtaking views, volcanic caves to be safely explored and a tasty lunch at typical Sicilian restaurant.
Duration: full day (6 hours)
Level of difficulty: difficult
Excursion available every day except on Saturday and Sunday for at least 4 passengers – Excursion highlights:
- Pick-up at your accommodation. (Catania and hinterland)
- Climbing along the Volcanoslopes you will have the chance to look at the different
lava castings coming from ancient flows (1991/93 eruptions)
- Pleasant walk finding out ancient and new craters, with a view of the entire Jonic coast from the top.
- Exploring a spectacular lava cave (we’ll provide helmets and torches).
- “Valle del Bove“, ancient Etna volcanic caldera.
- Stop for a typical Sicilian lunch.
- Visit toAlcantara River Park to marvel at its canyons formed about 300.000 years ago and surrounding a small river beach.
- Leaving back to Catania.